I think I'm in love... with Groupon! A few months ago they had a special for The East Burn which I purchased. It was going to expire in about two weeks, so Eddie and I decided to get out and use it tonight. This place is cool. Restaurant & patio upstairs, bar & pool tables downstairs. The restaurant tables were taken when we arrived so we scoped out the bar downstairs. Also packed thanks to a Blazers game so we went back upstairs to wait for a table. Fortunately we were able to snag two stools at the bar. This place has a fun food or drink special each day of the week. Tuesday just happens to be $2 pint night - all night. Not just during happy hour. And we're talking good beers here - not $2 Bud / Miller / Coors. I mean great microbrews. We took advantage.
I wasn't super impressed with my burger though. The bartender didn't ask how I would like it prepared. I realize now that I should have made a point to ask for it medium or medium rare. It came out super well done. I mean really well done. :-( But the beef came from Carlton Farms, so props for using a local supplier. The bun was also good. I didn't care for the herb & spice mix that they blend in with the meat. I'm a purist and believe the best burgers need only salt, pepper, and garlic powder. If you want to add Italian seasonings, why not just order a meatball. Burgers shouldn't taste like that. But one thing this place does right is having the $10.50 price of the burger include cheese & bacon. As I've said before, I hate having to pay extra to add those toppings. Oh yeah. The fries were really good.
I finally finished the book I started reading before Christmas. I had to put it down while I was in San Jose because I desperately needed to finish the 600 page An Irish Country Christmas that I had to sell back to the Portland airport. A few months ago, Shannon suggested I try reading some Lisa Scottoline. So I looked her up and purchased the first book in her lawyer series, Everywhere That Mary Went. And it turned out to be a great recommendation. I will say though that I think I'm starting to read too many of these pro-feminine murder mysteries. They're all kind of starting to sound the same - even though I'm reading from different authors. But they're still enjoyable so I'm looking forward to reading the second book.
No comments:
Post a Comment