Thursday, November 4, 2010

These Boots Are Made for Walking

I treated myself to a downtown walking date this afternoon.  I was on a mission to go to the Gap and utilize my 40% off coupon.  I got lucky and found this blazer.  Not normally my style, but for $40 it will make me look good when I go in for my next job interview.  My hope was to find a neat new place for lunch, but I didn't see anything interesting on my way so I headed home on a different street.  I'm glad I did because I found Kettleman Bagels.  I had to wait outside because this tiny establishment was packed with the business lunch crowd.  Unfortunately all the tables were taken, but I found a nearby park and sat on one of the benches to enjoy my bagel.  The tree leaves were all golden and beautiful and the man playing trumpet across the street added to my enjoyment.  I only stayed long enough to read one chapter before returning home.

The rest of my day was a tad on the lazy side.  I unpacked a few more boxes in the new apartment and straightened up a bit.  I had the TV playing the background but wasn't paying attention until my ears perked up at the start of Forrest Gump - one of my all-time favorite films.  Kristen and I watched that movie nearly every day after school.  It drove Nanny nuts because we would quote most of the lines.  I realized there were a few social references my younger self missed when the movie was first released - namely that they allude to Jenny dying of AIDS in 1982.  To this day I can't help but think of this movie whenever "For What It's Worth" comes on the radio.

1 comment:

  1. The part where Jenny puts Forrest's hand on her boob and Forrest suddenly shakes flew right over my head when I was little as well, for obvious reasons. LOL.

    I always wondered about the timeline of Jenny's disease, just cause I'm a nerd who thinks about continuity and plausibility. What do you think? I mean, I presumed that Jenny turned her life around after her son was born. But if she was infected and not her son or Forrest, wouldn't that most likely she still had to have been whorin' it up even after she gave birth?

    ReplyDelete