Woke up this morning feeling fine... and ready to tackle Twin Falls. Unfortunately Justine was tied up with homework for several hours so I had to go off and explore on my own. We were staying just a few blocks from Main Street so I started there. I realize it was a Sunday morning and a holiday nonetheless but there was no one out on the streets. Absolutely no one. And I couldn't find a single shop, cafe, book store, or restaurant open for business. Feeling moderately defeated I decided to walk around some more. I went up and down the main drag for about thirty minutes but never encountered any people or activity so I headed back to the house.
I was feeling hungry so I picked up some snacks from my car and walked to the local park where I sat and read for a bit. There were a few people at the park but only because church had just been let out. By the time I finished my first chapter, everyone had gone. I did have one visitor though... This huge golden dog waltzed up to me and plopped down on the grass next to me. I'm so thankful he didn't try to jump on me or lick my face and so I didn't mind him chilling with me for a little while. When I felt I had gotten enough sun, I headed back to the house and took a little nap while Justine finished her homework.
Early in the afternoon we set out to explore. Of course being in Twin Falls we had to see two waterfalls. The first and my favorite was the wondrous Shoshone Falls. I was not expecting it to be anything like Niagara Falls. Shoshone isn't as massive as Niagara but it was very impressive. I'm used to narrower waterfalls like you see in Yosemite.
Centennial Fall was just a short drive away. What was unique about this visit was seeing the waterfall in a way I'd never seen before. I actually got to walk behind this fall. The cool mist felt so good as we made the very short hike from the car to the fall. I was most amazed with the roar of the fall. It seemed like such a small fall compared to Shoshone but it was loud!
After the falls we headed to Justine's friend's house for a 4th of July barbecue. We hung out for a few hours just chatting and sipping beers before heading out to watch the main fireworks show. One of the great things about Twin Falls is its flatness and lack of tall buildings which makes for great fireworks viewing. I took dozens of pictures during the show but this one is my favorite. We set off a few fireworks of our own after the show, visited with more friends, then turned in for the night.
But before falling asleep, because I was energized from the fireworks display, I started a new book before going to bed. I had been waiting for Finger Lickin' Fifteen to go on sale and it finally did. I stopped reading this Janet Evanovich series a few years ago because each new book in the series started sounding exactly like the book before it - the same problem I have with Stephen King and John Grisham. But when we first moved to Oregon I decided to pick up where I left off at number 11 (Eleven On Top). I got caught up in just a few days and was eager to jump to #15 but refused to pay more than $10 for it. Yes, the books do still sound the same, but I'm enjoying Stephanie's struggles with Morelli and Ranger.
Heather, OMG, I just started reading Finger Lickin' Fifteen too!!! So far away, and yet nothing has changed!
ReplyDeleteI want to move on to 16, but it still hasn't dropped in price. I'm trying to be really good and support the Kindle movement to keep the books under $10. And I decided that whenever I get my next job I will be buying a Kindle with the first paycheck. They are finally affordable!
ReplyDeleteDitto with the Kindle. I had a Sony e-reader and then they changed their system and I would have had to mail it back in for a software update. It was a major pain in the ass so I'm using it to read the rest of the classics I purchased then I'm getting a Kindle. We got one for my mom. Oh, and a book recommendation for you: Millie's Fling. The author is British and all of her books are funny and lighthearted. I can't remember the author off-hand but it's a nice light summer read!
ReplyDelete