Never before have I made such a spontaneous decision about a road trip but I'm glad I did. I do wish I had had more time to plan though so I could read up on things to do in Idaho, but everything worked out okay. We left Beaverton at 6:30 A.M. and made quite a few stops before arriving in Twin Falls. But one of the stops was well worth it - the Stonehenge War Memorial in Maryhill, Washington. I imagine the real thing exudes much more awesomeness since this site felt too forced and modern, but it was still neat to see since I haven't made it out to Wiltshire, England.
After several hours of driving through Oregon we finally reached the Idaho border which is where the Ore-Ida factory is. That just made me laugh because while I knew the company name stood for Oregon / Idaho, I didn't actually expect to see their facility.
There isn't much to say about the rest of the drive. Idaho is one flat and open state. Thankfully there are some short mountains in the distance so I didn't feel too agoraphobic. Most of the landscape was brown and dry (it is July), but I was able to find beauty in it - probably because it was all brand-new to me. It was nearly 5:00 P.M. before we arrived in Twin Falls. Being exhausted from the drive and running on just a few hours of sleep, we decided not to do anything big - just hung out with some of Justine's friends and had dinner at Shari's Restaurant. We saved the sight-seeing for Sunday...
Oh... What is one thing all road trips need? Music! Justine brought along her iPod loaded with tons of music. I think we spent almost two hours listening only to Depeche Mode. I like them, but I only know the music off this singles collection album so most of what I heard was new to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment