I am loving the new winery so far! They let me take my first Saturday & Sunday off to give me time to explore wineries in the area. Since I had just been out tasting the Ribbon Ridge AVA with my friend, Laura a few weeks ago, I wanted to focus on wineries I had never been to. I spent Saturday visiting the places on Worden Hill Rd. One of my favorite stops was the Black Walnut Inn. They are not normally open for wine tasting but since there was a weekend passport tasting event, they opened up their patio for passersby. What made this tasting so unique was that they offered a full lunch. Granted, it wasn't a big menu to choose from, but they had three different entrees. I ordered the burger & fries knowing I could enjoy it with a glass of wine on their gorgeous patio. The owners were so cute when I explained my picky eating; they brought me upstairs to sit in the kitchen and personally direct the chef (their son). It was awesome chatting with him as he prepared my custom meal.
Last night we got our friends together for a beer club meet up. Basically it's everyone at Eddie's winery who likes beer plus me. We had the first meet up about a year ago at our Tualatin apartment. Unfortunately we're only able to find the time to get together every few months or so, but it's always fun. We pick a different theme for the type of beer everyone should bring (last time was all about stouts) and then we drink and have fun. Eddie scored a free room at the Hotel Monaco through his work so we decided to meet there. The theme was "anything goes" so we had quite a variety of brews in the room.
After hanging out for a while, we were starting to get hungry. Someone mentioned poutine which seemed to stick on everyone's minds. We knew we were just a few blocks from The Original which serves the dish. Then I piped up that I'm on their email list and just received a blast about their new poutine eating challenge. That pretty much sealed the deal so we packed up and walked the few blocks to the restaurant. Everyone at the table placed an order for poutine while I had a bacon & egg breakfast. Davin went balls-out and went for the poutine challenge - five pounds of fries, gravy, and cheese to be consumed in 30 minutes or less. When I saw the plate come out, I was actually hopeful for him. Five pounds of fries didn't look as big as I thought it would. In the challenge of man vs. poutine, poutine won. I honestly believe Davin could have done it if he hadn't just spent the last few hours drinking beers. It was still fun to watch and the restaurant gave him the free t-shirt in the end.
I got to finish my book before everyone arrived at the hotel last night. Paul Christopher's Michelangelo's Notebook reads like his templar novels. Fast-paced mystery with similar characters. I think I need to force myself to read at a slower pace though because all the books I've been reading are starting to blend together. They all follow similar plots and have the same flow. And then the characters & love interests in all these books are so similar. It makes it really hard to keep each book separate in my mind. That being said, reading his books is an enjoyable way to pass time. I'm sure that a month from now I won't be able to recall any specific details of this book, but at least during the hours I spent reading this I was entertained.
No comments:
Post a Comment