Thursday, December 16, 2010

"I'll Have Christmas with the Works on Rye, Hold the Ham and Jesus"

Today's short story was finally decent.  Still not as funny as the first, but at least I enjoyed turning the pages tonight.  Eddie and I had a fantastic Sunday and took full advantage of the clear weather.  We walked to our bagel shop downtown and shared a bagel for breakfast.  I had some books to sell to Powell's so we went there next and they bought all but five of my books.  I used the credit to get a mystery novel and Paula Deen's biography so I'll have some fun stuff to read.  After a quick shopping trip at Whole Foods, Eddie treated us to a lightish lunch at Deschutes.  Eddie had the half sandwich / half soup combo and I had a housemade pretzel with fries.  Tasty stuff.

Nothing exciting happened during the walk home, but we did see a street musician doing a Stomp / Blue Man Group thing where he was playing drums on the trash can.  When Eddie pointed that out, I couldn't help but think of the "Banging on a Trash Can" song from Doug.  I always thought this was a Beets song, but my research shows that this was sung by Doug, Bebe, and Skeeter.  I forgot to mention that during our walk to the bagel shop, we passed a man playing trumpet on the sidewalk.  I think he's the same guy I heard playing a few weeks ago.  He was decked out in a Santa hat so I thought he was cool.  A few blocks north of him, there was another guy playing guitar on the sidewalk and he was rocking out with Greg Kihn's "The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)."  I guess you could say it was a fun, musical adventure.

Eddie had to work a short two-hour shift this evening so I used the free time to finish reading A Wrinkle In Time.  Brooke used to tell me how much she loved this book and couldn't believe I'd never read it.  Now I can cross it off my list.  Ehh...  I think I actually might have appreciated it more if I had read it as a child / young adult.  Funny when you consider that I love modern young adult series like Harry Potter & Twilight.  I just couldn't get myself involved in this story.  Nor do I have any desire to read the rest of the series.  Oh well.  I guess it's just one of those things.

ready for Christmas
traveling to San Jose
going to be fun

1 comment:

  1. Not to advertise another website, but I think you'd totally love shelfari.com, unless you already have some other way of keeping track of your books. It seems like you would use the community aspect more than I do... I just use it to list books I want to read/buy.

    ReplyDelete