Saturday, September 18, 2010

Wine After Work

I was asked to work at Solena's tasting room in Carlton today.  Normally I work at the beautiful new winery facility in Yamhill so this was going to be my first solo shift in Carlton.  I finished closing up the shop around 5:15 and figured I had time to stop at one of the local wineries that stays open until 6pm.  I walked a block north from Solena and found myself at Terra Vina's tasting room.  I almost left without trying the wines because they had a huge group crowding their tasting room, but the employee behind the bar was very friendly and eager to serve me.  I tried most of their $5 flight and really enjoyed two wines in particular: the half stainless steel / half oaked chardonnay and their Dundee Hills pinot.  I bought a bottle of each and I got hooked up with an industry discount.  I'll definitely have to go back the next time I work at our Carlton tasting room and hopefully it won't be so crowded during my next visit so I can sip and read in peace.

And what was I reading, you wonder?  I realized I hadn't read any true crime novels by Ann Rule in some time, so I decided to bust out this book - Mortal Danger.  I bought it almost a year ago from Costco for just $4.49.  I've read some of her other crime files compilations but I've never found those stories to be good as her feature novels - hence why this book had been sitting on my shelf for a year.  Much to my delight, the first story was about 200 pages so it had a similar flow as her other novels.  The rest of the stories in this book aren't nearly as long and so they're not as enjoyable for me.  I don't feel like 50 pages is enough space to properly tell a story about the victims' lives.  The first story was really intriguing because it was about a couple from San Diego who relocated to Oregon.  Sound like anyone else you know?  Me and Eddie?...

No comments:

Post a Comment