Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rooftop Bar

I was excited but bummed to have to work today.  Excited because I can certainly use the extra hours & money, but bummed because I had been looking forward to spending time with Eddie on his day off.  Since Eddie didn't have much planned for the day, I invited him to check out my beautiful Solena Estate winery.  Even though he's tried all of our wines since I bring them home after every shift, I worked him through our tasting flight.  Eddie brought his Thai food cart lunch with him so I got him set up on the patio with some pinot gris to get started.  By the time he finished the tasting it was time for me to close shop and head home.  We decided to hang out in the area and get some drinks at a local restaurant.

Our plan was to go to Zippy's pizza parlor in Yamhill - about three miles from my winery.  But Eddie was in desperate need of a gas station so when he realized Yamhill has no gas stations he decided to drive on through to McMinnville.  We wound up meeting at McMenamins Hotel Oregon Rooftop Bar.  Eddie was already part way through his Manhattan so following his lead, I ordered a cocktail instead of beer.  I chose the Penney's gin fizz made with McMenamins' own Edgefield Distillery Penney's Gin.  Fairly tasty but there was too much lime juice for my liking.  Unlike Eddie, I was actually hungry.  I missed the cut off for happy hour by about two minutes so I had to order a pizza at full-price.  Not a big deal since it only cost about $6 for a pretty decent 8-inch pepperoni pizza.  Though neither food nor drinks were spectacular, I can say that one thing about this place was fabulous: the view.  The Rooftop Bar is - as you can imagine - on the rooftop.  It has an amazing view of the surrounding wine country.  It was just unfortunate that it happened to be raining (the day after Labor Day truly is the first day of fall up here).  We'll definitely need to return in better weather to enjoy the place at sunset.

I feel like I've been slacking with my media mentions lately.  Part of the problem is that I haven't started reading a new book since I finished Dexter.  The other part of the problem is that most of my summer TV series have already ended and have been reviewed.  But the real problem has been that instead of reading or watching TV during my down-time, I have been focused on apartment hunting.  Eddie and I are looking to move to SW Portland when our lease ends next month.  And I get a little crazy when it's time to apartment hunt...  Anyhoo...  For the media mention.  How about music for today?  This is a unique music mention because it is a theme song for an ice cream truck.  The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck.  Seriously.  It's a gourmet soft-serve ice cream truck operating out of New York City by my mom's long-time friend.  And the theme song comes courtesy of spunky Go-Go's guitarist & songwriter, Jane Wiedlin.  I downloaded the song from iTunes a week ago and I understand it is now available on Amazon.  It's cheesy & super catchy.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment