Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Midsummer Night's Dream

I loved my second and last day of work.  The air show was once again spectacular.  And even though the three of us working the booth were less exuberant today, we managed to walk away with the same amount in tips as yesterday.  Not too shabby.  We got out a bit earlier today so I drove down to wine country to meet Eddie.  I'm not sure why my GPS told me to take Bald Peak Road but I'm glad it did because I had spectacular views of both the Tualatin and Willamette valleys.  I met Eddie at Stoller Vineyards to watch a small & local production company perform Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.  They had snacks and wine for sale before the show so we armed ourselves with a bottle of rose and a wheel of brie with crackers.  I had a blast except for the twenty minutes I missed due to a power nap.  This was a very funny troupe and I especially enjoyed laughing at some of the more homoerotic scenes.

You might expect my media mention to have something to do with Shakespeare, but it does not.  Several weeks ago I suggested to Eddie that we do our own private book club where we make recommendations to each other.  Eddie read a great book and then passed it on to me and I have not been able to put it down since.  I look forward to finishing it tomorrow.  It is Stephen Clarke's "nearly true, uproarious account of a year in the life of an expat in Paris," A Year in the Merde.  There have been several laugh-out-loud moments for me and I am finding it to be an excellent and fun summer read.  This is something I probably would have never picked up at any bookstore so I am glad Eddie suggested it.  He and I agree that this book makes us want to travel to France but since we don't have the money for a big trip like that, staying at home to drink bordeaux and listen to Edith Piaf will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment