Friday, July 9, 2010

Into Thin Air

Tonight's entry will be short.  I just wanted to take a moment to tell you about a book I read today.  I started Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air before bed last night and couldn't wait to wake up this morning to finish it.  It's Krakauer's personal account of the 1996 Everest disaster.  He was one of the few climbers who summited on the fateful day of May 10, 1996.  Nearly half of his crew perished during the storm that struck them at the top of the world's tallest peak.  I wasn't sure I'd be interested in reading about mountain climbing since that is an activity I would never take part in.  But I had read one of his other books, Under the Banner of Heaven, and thought I might be okay with his Mt. Everest account.

I have nothing else to write about at the moment because it has been so hot the past two days that I have not wanted to do anything.  At least today it stayed cooler in the apartment than it did yesterday...

2 comments:

  1. You have to read Into the Wild!!! It's my favorite, though Under the Banner of Heaven is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read "Into the Wild." I was going to start that one next, but I was stubborn about having to pay for it. I bought the book a few years ago but one of Adam's friends borrowed it and I never got it back. I just don't feel like having to pay for it a second time. I should see if my library has it. :-)

    ReplyDelete