Unfortunately I have nothing fun and exciting to report. So instead, I get to bore you with the details of all my media mentions for the week. I was thrilled to become a library member last week. I checked out five books and already read the first three and can't wait to go in tomorrow to pick out more books. Let's begin, shall we?
Apparently I came to the library at the exact right moment. When I walked into the popular section, I was greeted by a lady restocking the bookshelves. She told me I was lucky for catching her because she had all of these great, hard-to-catch books. So I took a look at her shelves and found two brand new books by two of my recent favorite authors and snatched them up. The first one I read was Robert Crais' The Sentry. I have read all of his other Elvis Cole / Joe Pike detective novels so I was excited to see what this new one brought to the table. I read it way too quickly, but it was a fun read. I just can't decide whether I prefer reading Elvis Cole or Joe Pike as the main protagonist. I think when he writes about Pike, his novels take on more of a badass feel like Lee Child's Reacher series. Just my opinion.
So the next book I started was Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer. I just discovered him a year ago when I saw Book of Fate at Barnes & Noble and the cover caught my eye. Within two months I purchased and read all of his other novels, though I have no desire to read his comics. Just not my thing. I was surprised and delighted that Inner Circle follows a storyline from Book of Fate. I don't think this was my favorite of his novels, but it was still a light and fun mystery to read.
Okay. So let's take a break from books for a moment. I made time to watch Wall Street yesterday because the sequel is about to stream on Netflix. Unfortunately I couldn't really get into the original so I'm hoping the newest film is more intriguing.
I really wish I could stop here, but I have one more thing to mention.... Death Notice is the third library book I've read this week. I understand that Todd Ritter isn't a seasoned novelist, but this was so amateurish. I figured out the plot twists before even finishing the first third of the book. I think he goes into too much detail in places; almost like assuming the reader knows nothing about police procedures. Because of that, it's easy to figure out which of his characters actually has potential to turn out to be the "Grim Reaper." That being said, I did enjoy the flow of the novel so I will be interested to see what he comes out with in the future.
And finally. In TV news... I finished watching the third season of Grey's Anatomy. This is one of the seasons I really remember from college because so much happens between Meredith & Shepard as well as Christina and Burke. I do wish they handled Meredith's near-death-experience differently though. It was over-the-top dramatic. And highly unrealistic. But I'm still watching the show so what can my opinion really matter?
No comments:
Post a Comment