Sunday, November 28, 2010

Busy Winery Weekend

So Thanksgiving is one of the biggest weekends in the wine industry up here.  That is certainly not the case for the wine regions in California, and I don't know when that tradition started in the Willamette Valley, but Eddie and I both had rather busy weekends at work.  The best part?  Being invited to the annual industry event at The Joel Palmer House.  There was so much free wine and food.  I had a blast chatting with other industry members - especially catching up with a few familiar faces.  Eddie and I both really enjoyed the old bottles of wine that our hosts, Chris & Mary, opened for the occasion.  And Eddie loved the mushroom-centric food.

The rest of the night was quiet for me.  Once we got home, I opened up The Glass Castle to finish reading.  About a month ago, one of my friends on Facebook posted a status update about dreaming of glass castles.  I knew it was referring to a book, but I didn't know anything about it.  I debated heavily before ordering the book though because I had never heard of the author, Jeannette Walls, but the story sounded interesting.  I was shocked by the first two opening scenes and was wary that they were 100% factual.  But just because I cannot understand a life filled with such hardships does not mean that no one has had to endure a life like that.  I really enjoyed the flow of this book because it's written in very short segments - each highlighting a different memorable event from Walls' childhood.  I have already added Walls' Half Broke Horses to my Powell's wish list so I can read more about her grandmother who makes only a small appearance in Glass Castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment