Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Virginia City

Today was our last full day in Tahoe so I decided to venture out to Virginia City, NV with my Uncle Joe and cousin Nicholas.  We walked up and down the main drag stopping in several saloons, museums, candy stores, and gift shops.  My favorite stop was the tour of one of the ore mines.  It was very informative and actually pretty cool to see.  We were also suckered in to seeing the Suicide Table thanks to all the signs advertising it along the drive in to the city (think of all those billboards advertising the Mad Greek in Baker, CA when on your way to Las Vegas).  Okay...  I shouldn't say we were suckered in since the suicide table turned out to have an interesting story.  It's an old poker table whose three owners each committed suicide after suffering heavy losses.  And we took pictures behind the jail bars - as a funny side note, my mom is the one who suggested we do this, but when she was explaining it, I heard her tell me to take my picture behind the gel on the street.  I clearly was not in a right state-of-mind since she was obviously talking about taking pictures behind the jail.  Stupid me.

Nothing else of interest to report for today.  We did take the long way home when leaving Virginia City to drive through Carson City and around the eastern shore of Lake Tahoe.  Oh...  I did finally finish The Clan of the Cave Bear so I started on my next book.  Mom gave me her copy of Carrie Fisher's memoir Wishful Drinking.  I'm nearly halfway through and loving it.  Part of the reason it's going so quickly for me is that every other page has neat photos of her parents - neither of which I really know.  I had never heard of Eddie Fisher's music and only know that Debbie Reynolds starred in Singing in the Rain (a movie I have never seen).  Even though I know so little about Carrie's Hollywood upbringing, her prose is drawing me in to her story and I am really enjoying it.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you thought I said "gel"... umm...it is like how I say "golf"? lol I don't know much about Carrie and her family either, but she is a hilarious writer! I LMAO literally reading that book. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I like how she drew the family tree to see if it was ok if her daughter dated that one boy who she wasn't sure if they were all related! good stuff! :) You'll have to let me know what you think of the Chely one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I really enjoyed the book. :-) I wanted to finish it so I could give it back to you before my flight. I'll probably start reading the Chely one in a few weeks - and thanks for that, by the way.

    ReplyDelete