This morning we explored the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle. They claim to be "The Center of the Universe" though the only reason I can find for that is their city motto is basically to express peculiarities. Shaunna took me to see the troll under Aurora Avenue and we took a few fun pictures. Fremont is a cute area to walk around, but possibly more fun on a Friday or Saturday night. We did see a lot of fun and random art work on the streets so that was nice.
Then we headed out to Gas Works Park where we had an incredible view of downtown Seattle. We even got to watch an amphibian plane land in the water which is something I had never seen before.
We still had a couple of hours to kill before my train departure so we drove around Alki Point and had more good views of downtown. I love this photo because after the Space Needle on the left, as you scan to the right the buildings start out small and then get taller and taller until you reach the last building on the right. Then it was time to head back towards Pioneer Square to catch my train. We just happened to park next to the Klondike Gold Rush National Park display so we went inside their free museum and explored for a few minutes. It was interesting to read about Seattle’s history with gold.
Today’s media mention is The Clan of the Cave Bear. Shaunna’s mom asked me on Sunday when we were at the Purple Moon Inn if I had ever read this series (they had a copy of one of the books inside the inn). I had never even heard of the series but it sounded interesting. When we arrived in Depoe Bay later that day, we happened to park near a used bookstore so Shaunna’s mom bought it with the intention that I pass it along to Shaunna when I’m done. I’m not far in at all - it’s a bit of a slow start. But I hope it gets going so I can get into it soon. I guess I have 2.5 hours on the train I could spend reading that.
Eddie picked me up from the train station and surprised me with a walk to Rogue where we shared some beer and appetizers. I really enjoy walking around downtown Portland. It is so pretty and there are always fun people to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment