Sunday, June 27, 2010

Festival of Balloons

Today's adventure was inspired by something I saw during yesterday's bike ride - a poster advertising the Tigard Festival of Balloons.  I checked out the website and knew I had to be there today.  I figured I wouldn't be able to wake up early to see the balloons launch at 6:00 A.M. (thanks to not falling asleep until 3:00 A.M.).  But two events in particular really piqued my interest - the Rogue beer garden and the helicopter ride.

Armed with $23, two liters of cold water in my backpack, and my Shutter Island book, I set out for the event.  I decided to walk there today since they had the bike path fenced off around the perimeter of Cook Park yesterday.  After paying the $7 entrance fee and the $15 fee for a 3-minute copter ride I knew I wouldn't have enough cash for any Rogue but I was hopeful they would have a credit card machine set up.  They did not so I sauntered back to the launch pad waiting area and read a few more chapters in my book.

The helicopter ride was definitely worth the wait.  It was my first ride - piloted by Dominic who's been flying copters almost daily for five years.  The ride was much smoother than I anticipated - especially considering the very small size of copter - just a small 2-seater.  Our route followed the train tracks and the Tualatin River giving me great views of my apartment complex and the neat scenery.  Such a perfect day for a little flight.

The rides were done by Jerry Trimble Helicopters. They offer $10 rides out of McMinnville on Saturday mornings throughout the summer so I just might have to check them out again and fly over the wine grapes that time.

On a side note...  One thing I did in my blog yesterday is mention a form of media that I was interested in.  Yesterday was the Shutter Island book I started reading.  Today I'd like to mention some music I've been listening to.  I watched a biography on Courtney Love (which was really a bio of Kurt Cobain through Courtney's eyes) which prompted me to purchase Hole's Celebrity Skin so I've been listening to that today.  Hopefully I'll continue this tradition with the books, movies, TV shows, and music albums that are influencing me at the time of each entry.

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. That's cool about the helicopter ride. Why are they so cheap? That's kinda scary. I have Celebrity Skin. My fave song is Malibu, and it sounds like The Bangles to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the helicopter ride was really neat. I want to do another one of their tours in wine country and fly over the grape vineyards.

    ReplyDelete